Monday, January 7, 2019

Week 71: 2018 is over...Don't look back and let's move forward


Dear Friends and Family,
Happy New Years!
As this new year begins many will set New Year resolutions. In the past I have set New Year resolutions myself. As my companion and I talked about them at the close of 2018 we realized many set 5 at the beginning of the year but by this time have already broken 4. Elder Truman and I began discussing the significance of a new year. The scripture Luke 17:32 came to mind. "Remember Lot's wife". For those who don't know the story of Lot's wife here is a brief explanation.  Lot and his family were commanded to flee Sodom and Gomorrah and to look not behind them.  As the Lord was destroying Sodom and Gomorrah Lot's wife looked back and became a pillar of salt.  It is not so much the fact that she looked back but that she looked back with longing.   As we begin a new year, how can we each learn from Lot's wife's experience?
With the start of 2019 we each have an opportunity to change and to not look back.  Elder Holland said  "The past is to be learned from but not lived in."  As we each learn from our mistakes of 2018 but not live in them we will each press forward.  Faith is for the future. We must have faith that Heavenly Father has better things in store for us in the future. If we are looking back at 2018 with longing, desiring the worldly appetites that we enjoyed then, then our progress will be halted just as Lot's wife. May we each evaluate the life we lived in 2018 and resolve to change in 2019. 
This week has been great! It started off with us bringing in the New Year and many people in our complex firing off fireworks. Many of which were default. Never trust South African fireworks.
On Wednesday we had MLC and had a wonderful experience being able to take part in setting new goals for the year of 2019. After confirming it with the Lord through prayer, we set the goal of 775 confirmations in the year of 2019.
On Friday we had Zone Conference. We had a great opportunity to train on teaching to people's needs and involving members in the work of salvation. Later that day everyone went outside for a demonstration which involved jumping over a rope which progressively got higher and higher. Because I had already done the demonstration in MLC I had not planned on participating in it. Another factor to me not wanting to participate in it was the fact that I had tight pants on. I verbally said 4 times "if I go I'm going to rip my pants". Elder Spencer and Erickson continued to pressure me into it until I cracked. I chose to try and jump over the rope at its highest height. The Lord humbled me and taught me a lesson. Let's just say I contributed to making it a memorable zone conference lol. My pants ripped from the middle of the zipper to halfway down the crotch. The rest of zone conference I wore my suit coat wrapped around my waist. It's a blessing we have no Sister missionaries in our mission. 
Thabiso is doing amazing. Yesterday he expressed to us about his struggles with forgiving others. We were able to bring a member with us that was able to relate to him very well and give him advice that both Elder Truman and I would have never been able to give. Members play a huge role in the work of salvation. We then had a lesson about the Word of Wisdom and committed him and his girlfriend (Kim) to live it. They both have some struggles with the Word of Wisdom but they both are making plans to begin living it. Thabiso has been sober for almost 2 months and he is the happiest he has ever been. We invited him to be baptized on February 24th. His reaction brought a smile to our faces. And I quote " That's possible!? I was actually wondering if I could be baptized." We explained that it could even be sooner than that if he is prepared before the 24th. His response "I'm going to do everything I can to be prepared before the 24th!" Thabiso, like I said before, is amazing. I've never seen someone change their lives around the way he has. He told us that he has tried many church's but none have been able to help him the way the Church and gospel of Jesus Christ have been able to.
The Church and Gospel of Jesus Christ are on the earth once more. My testimony of that has been solidified as I have seen it change the lives of others. 
Love,
Elder Rash

These little boys look forward to Elder Rash's visit (Sheashy family)

Thabiso's son's (Daniel and Dominic)

Elder Davey, Elder Bindrup, Elder Rash, and Elder Neeley

HAPPY NEW YEAR with Elder Stoddard

Elder Truman and Elder Rash heading to a lesson with a member
 

No comments:

Post a Comment